For every business owner, it is not enough to have just the investment and the workforce to do the job. It is also as important for you to have a hands-on management of your business to make sure that everything goes smoothly and the processes go unhitched. Therefore, it is also necessary for you to have the knowledge of basic accounting principles.
Basic accounting principles that have to be learned include:…courtesy office.com/setup
1. Understanding that the business is a separate entity from the owner. Whatever transactions being entered into by the owner should not be put in the record book of the company and vice versa. Both should have to be treated separately.
2. Assuming that this entity will operate for an indefinite period of time. As such, recording of the assets should not be based on their market value but on their original cost. Furthermore, these assets are deemed not to be sold immediately.
3. Taking note that when recording business financial transactions, the monetary unit should be used like US dollar, Canadian dollar and other currencies that apply. Therefore, if there are information or transactions that cannot be measured as a monetary unit, they will not necessarily be recorded.
4. In relation to the second item, anything or any resource acquired by the business should have to be recorded and assigned value based on its price of acquisition. However, this may not apply especially when the business entity is going through liquidation or is in the process of closure.
5. Having a matching record of revenue and expenses.
6. Following the expense principle. Take note that your business does not only make profits but it also makes some expenses. Before you count how much the company has earned, try to deduct the expenses and you will come up with the net profit.
7. Understanding the principle of accrual. To be able to really take note of the company’s business transactions, you have to record expenses and revenues under the period it was earned and not under the period the money was received or spent.
For you to be able to fully understand the said principles, you have to first get acquainted about terms such as debit, credit, asset, liability, and others. You also have to understand fully the benefits you can get from accounting and realize that it is a very important tool for managing your business.
If you do not have time to get a formal training on this subject, then you can utilize the internet and look for an online course that will take you through the aspects that you need to learn. The amount you will spend will be worth all the things that you will be getting.
Robert Morris a Microsoft Office expert has been working in the technical industry from last 5 year. As a technical expert, he has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as www.office.com/setup